By: Cathy Droz and Melanie Shawcroft  - Boomer and X

If I lost 100 pounds I would have gotten a full-on makeover; including false eyelashes, new hairstyle and color, red lipstick, tight dress and high heels. I would have gone out with a bunch of girlfriends and flirted with every man that looked my way. Not my daughter, she lost 100 pounds and chose to shave her head, the part of her she was most proud of, the part of her that she could control. Just when I blamed myself for the 100 pounds she had to shed, thinking I raised her to love food more than herself, I realized I raised a very determined woman who makes a promise and owns it. A woman who takes charge, sticks to her word and inspires others. A woman who looks fantastic bald and is happy inside and out. I don’t think I could have done what she did. I am very proud of my daughter Melanie… I hope she inspires you.
 
As a former athlete, I spent hours every day working out my body. However, my dependent relationship with fast food and ability to lie on the couch for hours watching television definitely caught up with me once my days on the field dwindled. I have struggled with my weight for the past 15 years.
In January, I decided to make a change for myself, my husband of six years and my two-year-old son, with hopes of adding another to our family in the near future. Don’t get me wrong – this is not my first attempt at losing the weight. I have done fad diets, taken many pills, tried expensive, trendy workouts – resulting in fluctuating weight between 145 pounds and tipping the scale at nearly 300 pounds.
 
This time has been different – I vowed to do it the healthy way. I have been eating lean proteins, vegetables and fruits and much smaller portions. If I do splurge at the table, I do it in moderation and burn it off in the gym. I hit the pavement to workout – run, walk, stairs. I take advantage of the free gym and workout classes at my job, and I sometimes splurge on a zumba class at the local rec center. I try to participate in at least 30 minutes of exercise 4-6 days a week.
 
For me, it is about losing the weight and keeping it off. It is about changing my lifestyle, not changing my dress size for one special occasion. I have lost 100 pounds which is more than the original goal I set for myself. I feel like the athlete I once was but with an added appreciation for healthy eating and an active standard of living.
In my 15-year struggle with my weight, there was one constant I could always control – the only physical feature I felt was beautiful: my hair. In celebration of losing 100 pounds, I decided to do something I thought I would only talk about but never actually follow through with. I shaved my head. It may sound foolish to some, but to me, it means finally gaining control of my health and no longer needing the hair. There is much more that I see as beautiful about myself – my dedication, hard work and will to fight for my life for myself, my husband, my son and my family and friends. That is so much greater than hair.