Friday, April 15, 2011

GRANDPARENTS ON THE GO... Talent Agents Too?

Grandparents On the Go
Cathy Droz and Cathy Burford

Talent Agents Too?
By:   Cathy Droz

Grandparents on the Go http://www.twofortheroadusa.com/  is about doing things with our grandchildren that are fun, economical and where life lessons are learned.  We help our children with their children but we also make sure they go back home with a better understanding of people, places and maybe even a new vocabulary word.

I took my granddaughter to audition for a TV commercial recently, and with a lesson in mind.  At age five I didn't expect a firm handshake or a ton of eye contact but what I did tell her was... be yourself, have fun and always remember your manners.  I told her that she would be auditioning with tons of other beautiful, talented and funny children.  I made sure she knew that weather she got the commercial or not she was a super little girl, very loved and there is always another time if she enjoyed the experience.

When she did get the commercial, along with several other kids, I told her she was to be considered blessed and that she was not to brag or tell everyone at school or in any way think that everything she tried out for in life she would get.  I explained a little bit about the business in which case she sat down and wrote a thank you card to the producer and the client.

I suggested she take the money she earned and put it in to a little box where she might put all that fun money she might earn over the years at lemonade stands, garage sales and maybe other acting jobs.  I told her that she might want to donate a percentage to a charity of her choice or purchase something very special for her parents or brothers.

She seemed to take it all in and has acted accordingly.  She did notice something that I wasn't sure she observed.  The other children who auditioned, were there with their mothers or fathers, not their grandparents.  Those children's parents were fussing with them, telling them what to say and do and
making them repeat words in sing song language.   I never fussed with her hair, told her what to do or say, and just made sure I was close enough in case she needed me.  The beauty of being the grandparent and not the mother was it was just like a day at the park or zoo, nothing special ; just a day with grandma.

Grandparents can do anything... We've had so much time to practice.

No comments: