Skin Cancer and Driving – By Cathy Droz
If you drive as much as I do for work or pleasure, you might consider applying more sunscreen on the left side of your face unless of course you live in England or Australia. That’s because a new study shows a link between driving and the incidence of skin cancer on the left side of people’s upper bodies that drive a lot.
I have more wrinkles on my left side than my right and knew it was due to my exposure to the car window’s rays and of course living in Arizona. I had no idea there were studies out there that connected the dots. Researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle have found that Americans have a tendency to develop the worst forms of skin cancer – especially melanomas and merkel cell carcinomas on the left side of their face and bodies. This was published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
There is even more evidence that driving can increase a motorist’s exposure to ultra-violet light, which is linked to skin cancer. In countries like the U.S. the left side of men and women have increased skin cancer while in countries where the steering wheel in on the right side show more skin cancer obviously on the right side. I found it interesting, according to some research that having the convertible top down on your car did not have the same skin cancer effect.
Here are my thoughts on the subject: Auto glass filters out most of the UV rays that can cause skin cancer, so driving with windows up and the air conditioner on is a better choice, even though your fuel economy will suffer. Keep in mind the side windows do not have the same UV protection.
Skin cancer runs in my family… I am fair skinned, freckled, green eyes and burn at the beach. Every day I apply sunscreen under my makeup and on my arms and neck … don’t forget your ears if they are exposed. Wear good sunglasses, ones that will protect your eyes not just look trendy. If you don’t wear lipstick I suggest lip balm for both ladies and men. If you wear a hat in a convertible (which you should) a brimmed one is suggested or a visor to protect your face. Men, who are bald genetically or by choice, wear sunscreen on your head. Please don’t use a convertible automobile as a tanning bed.
I feel a new saying coming on ; don’t burn and drive… The average person drives for almost 53 years, so cover up while driving or we’ll surely look lopsided.