Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2011 Nissan Juke SL FWD CVT

When I first saw the Juke sitting in my driveway the first thing I thought was how someone my age would look driving a Toon car. There really is no other way to describe it. Like the Pekinese it’s so ugly it’s almost cute. But what I quickly found out was that despite the looks, the Juke is pretty much the real deal.

I’m guessing the styling will be a love it or hate it proposition and I’m guessing the Millennial’s will pretty much love it but then again, my wife actually thought it was cute so we shall see. Inside is where I was most impressed. Despite being a manual adjust driver’s seat, I was able to find a driving position that worked well for me and the seat itself was surprisingly comfortable.

A pleasant surprise for me was the performance from the turbocharged 188 horsepower 1.6 liter Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine that’s mated to a Continuously Variable Transmission. It is one quick little car that surprised most everyone that rode with me. EPA numbers are 27/32 and while I didn’t check the mileage I’m thinking that if one drives moderately those numbers are pretty realistic.

A double surprise to me was how loaded out the test car was one, and two; virtually all the goodies were standard. I’m talking NavSystem with backup camera, leather appointed seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, power moon-roof, Bluetooth phone system with steering wheel controls, cruise control, keyless entry and push button start, a sound system with an 8” Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer & Amp with mp3 and iPod connections just to name a few standard features.

It’s an interesting philosophy from Nissan to have all this as standard equipment on what I would consider an economy car so how much does it cost? The Juke FWD CVT bases at $23,050 and with extras of $95 for Stainless Steel Exhaust, $170 for floor mats, $390 for a roof spoiler and $750 destination charges the total on the tester came in at $24,455. There is also an AWD trim that bases at $24,550. The entry level Juke starts at $18.950. Base warranty is 36/36 with a 60 month 60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

All in all I kinda got a kick out of my week in the Juke. There isn’t a lot of room for adults in the rear but hauling the grandkids around was no problem and front seat room is more than adequate. The Juke actually offers a bit of a fun quotient as it is after all, a little car that zips around corners relatively well and rides surprisingly taut without being harsh. I’m not sure I’d like to take it on a long trip but for scooting around town it’s not a bad ride. So, if you can get past the looks and the name, the Nissan Juke may work well for you if you’re looking for a grocery getter and kid hauler. Check it out, you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

1 comment:

used cars Lake County said...

Two important things that I marked here. The price of this Nissan and the fuel efficiency.
For this reason, I'm also interested to buy one Nissan soon.