Sunday, November 7, 2010

2010 Caliber Rush

By Two for the Road USA

The Caliber is a Dodge compact vehicle that features interesting styling and flexibility that makes defining whether it’s a CUV or SUV difficult, although I’m not sure there’s one finite definition that will settle the debate. The 2010 Caliber receives a spiffed up interior that features a new instrument panel and padded door panels driver along with front passenger active head restraints. A Sport Appearance Package for Caliber SXT includes 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, performance suspension and performance steering.

I will confess now that I have not been nor do I see myself becoming a big Caliber fan. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a mid-size Magnum because it looks as though design was struggling for that look but got to the rear end and wasn’t quite sure how to finish it so they just gave it a kind of droopy chopped off look. I think it suffers from the same lack of styling identity that the wannabe Charger looking Avenger does.

I’m not saying the Caliber doesn’t have its place, it does offer a pretty fair amount of room and comfort for the money. Base priced at under $20,000 the Caliber comes with a sufficient amount of standard features that include a Media Center with HDD radio and a 30 Gig Hard Drive and Uconnect Blue Tooth. Unfortunately Electronic Stability Control, Brake Assist and Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags are optional.

My test car came with the standard 2.4-liter Inline 4-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission that comes standard in SE and SXT with the 2.0-liter engine. It’s the first Caliber with a manual transmission that I’ve driven and frankly it’s a double edged sword. I like the peppier performance but really I don’t like the manual for a daily commuter. It just didn’t fit with the car for some reason.

Driving the Caliber is an exercise in passivity as there is absolutely nothing remotely scintillating about the car. Before all you Caliber aficionado’s out there, of which there seem to be plenty judging by the number I see on the highways, eviscerate me, I’ve never kept secret that I’m all about both form and function and alas the Caliber is pretty much a utilitarian vehicle; however, to that end it works well.

It drives and handles just fine, it has room to haul the kids and soccer gear around easily and its pretty decent on the highway although I’m not sure I’d like to drive it on a trip that took over 2 hours, but that’s me. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve seen a lot of Calibers on the road and there are actually Caliber car clubs so clearly Chrysler has reached some people’s hot buttons.

Bottom line, if you want something that certainly stands out from the norm, has room for 5 with a good amount of cargo area, at a cost that won’t break the bank, check out the Dodge Caliber. Our test car came with the $780.00 Optional Equipment Package that includes EBS, Brake Assist and the supplemental Front-Seat-Mounted Side Airbags. It also came with the $795.00 Leather Interior Group, the Driver Convenience Group for $300.00, with Tire Pressure Monitoring Display, Electronic Vehicle Information Center and the Universal Garage Door Opener and finally the Power Express Sunroof for $845.00; all that brought the price of the tester up to $23,445. The Caliber comes with an EPA rating is 23/29/25 and Chryslers 3/36 base warranty and a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

No comments: