Wednesday, October 3, 2007

General Motors introduces the 2008 CTS Sport-Sedan by Cadillac



General Motors Western Region Manager Susan Docherty, and Lund Cadillac Let Two for the Road USA take it for a spin.
When we had GM’s Manager of the Western Region Susan Docherty on our radio show recently, she was so enthusiastic about the 2008 iteration of the CTS that we decided to ask our friends at Lund Cadillac in Phoenix if we could take one out for a spin to see what all the excitement was all about.
Bill Says:
I have to say that the CTS has always been a bit of an enigma to me because at first blush I really liked the car, but there was something that didn’t quite sit right we me and I really couldn’t put my finger on it, until now. The design changes while subtle have a serious impact aesthetically. The car seems to have, for lack of a better word, bulked up and now sports a much more aggressive stance with bulging, muscular fender flares made possible by a 62-inch wide track, the widest in its class, giving the CTS a much lower more assertive stance.

The previous model seemed not only taller, but narrower, and that was what had been nagging at me. This car has stunning lines that flow beautifully back to the short rear deck-lid that give the CTS a beautiful profile and its fully functional chrome air inlets on the front fender’s let you know in no uncertain terms, that this is a serious performer.

Unfortunately the CTS-V performance car won’t be available for quite some time but when I got behind the wheel of our loaner and settled into the beautiful interior, I was really surprised at the response to my right foot. The surprise was due to the response from all-new, 3.6 liter Direct Injection V6 with Variable Valve Timing engine that propels the CTS from 0-60 in under 6 seconds. That’s the type of performance that will get anyone’s attention and it certainly got mine. Mated to a new 6-speed Hydra-Matic transmission, the shifts in CTS are seamless yet crisp and if you so desire, you can use Driver Shift Control mode for smooth clutchless.

There is an awful lot to talk about with the new CTS but I’m going to have to wait until we have one in the press fleet rotation to really get into what this car is all about. Suffice it to say, if you’re looking for a really nifty sports-sedan, the 2008 CTS has taken a quantum leap and I for one am very impressed with it, and I’m betting you will be too.

The base price on the car is just over $32,000 but with the performance package and other options, the one we drove came in just over $42,000. However, for what you get, there’s no doubt that Cadillac has kicked it up a notch with this car, and it will be very interesting to see how it impacts the Infiniti M-series, the BMW 5-series and the C-Class. I’m betting that I’m not the only one that will be surprised by the 2008 Cadillac CTS.


Cathy Says:
The new 2008 CTS is a beautiful, sporty sedan that has enough sex appeal for both a man and women to agree on the purchase. I personally would choose a black exterior and light beige interior for my signature CTS, despite the upkeep. I am glad to see the faux-mini-spoiler on the 2007 is missing off the new ’08.

The cabin of the redesigned Cadillac is significantly improved over its predecessor. It now has a come-hither-look and feel about it that gently welcomes your derriere into the soft leather seats. The materials used inside are high in quality and the detail of wood and alloy remind you of some of the top luxury imports that begin with the letter “L”.



There’s a new telescoping steering column, giving the driver quite a bit of belly room, along with a thinner front seatback; allowing the rear passengers more leg room. The navigation system (which is optional) has a unique leather over-hang, like the large brim of a baseball cap. It might be there for show or to cut any glare that might cause difficulty in viewing.

The CTS is complete with a 40GB hard drive along with the premium Bose surround sound audio system. It has all the up to date hookups for iPod interface and other technology toys I know nothing about. For instance you can set your AM/FM and satellite radio to be rewound, paused and resumed in a TiVo-like manner. Great! I can’t figure out how to do in on my TV, but leave it to Cadillac to have it in the CTS.

It’s not all about the interior look; I did get to drive the powerful sport sedan once I forced Bill out of the driver’s seat. Besides the quick start at the lights and hugging the corners, I found it doing a sort of quick step up a desert hill. I felt like goldilocks in the three bear’s story; sitting in all three chairs till finally she sat in the one that was “just right.” I felt at home, I could locate the controls easily and the icons were a good size. I was impressed with how the A/C chilled the cabin immediately and including vents that were positioned perfectly.

Even if you were to purchase an entry level CTS, you would have more than you expected and for under $33,000. Cadillac has created a luxury sport sedan both inside and out. This baby lives up to its Cadillac heritage.

It was plain to see that the CTS had female influence; so hats off to Susan Docherty of General Motors, who I’m sure had some input.

For more reviews visit http://www.twofortheroadusa.com/.

2 comments:

mobitronia said...

who wouldn't like this stunning CTS? everybody loves sports car.

robbhy said...

nice car...